Empowering people, harnessing communities, networking networks
GOBLET, the Global Organisation for Bioinformatics Learning, Education and Training, is a legally registered foundation. Its mission is to:
- Provide a global, sustainable support and networking structure for bioinformatics trainers and trainees (including a training portal for sharing materials, tools, tips and techniques; guidelines and best practice documents; facilities to help train the trainers; and offering different learning pathways for different types of learner)
- Facilitate capacity development in bioinformatics in all countries
- Develop standards, guidelines and branded materials and courses, to help drive up the quality of bioinformatics training
- Act as a hub for fund gathering
- Reach out to, amongst others, teachers at high schools, to bridge the gap to the next generation of bioinformaticians,
- Foster the international community of bioinformatics, biocuration, biocomputing and computational biology trainers, and
- Become the professional body for bioinformatics learning, education and training.
Its ethos embraces:
- inclusivity (welcoming all relevant organisations, networks, societies)
- sharing (expertise, best practice, materials, tools, compute resources)
- openness (using Creative Commons Licence)
- innovation (welcoming imaginative ideas and approaches)
- tolerance (transcending national, political, cultural and social boundaries)
Following the meeting, a Memorandum of Understanding was drawn up, which, having acquired its fifth signature, came into force on 6 July 2012. As of 29 May 2013, the MoU has acquired twenty-nine signatures from twenty-six participating organisations, and several individuals have also joined.
The principal themes that GOBLET's activities aim to address encompass:
- Quality (of training, of training resources, of trainers)
- Incentivisation (recognition)
- Training methods
- Sustainability (funding)
Learn more about GOBLET from our brochure.